Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Debate Over Plants


Over the years, I've seen some teachers bring in small plants to keep on their desk or on a windowsill. Other teachers bring in fish and science teachers can often have an array of other organisms residing in their rooms.

Personally, I feel that having plants in a classroom does several things. Not only does it make a room feel and look "homey" but they can also be used as a teaching tool.

Every year, I assign one of my Resource Rooms to be in charge of plant care. For this, I get a little sneaky. I try to find the class that has an individual that has a goal relating to organization. For example, I've had students that sometimes become frequent visitors to the office. In a weird way, they're the kids that are the most possessive and gentle with my plants. It helps to teach them responsibility and kindness. If you don't water any of the plants, they will die.

Last year, we started some seedlings. Basil, lavender, and thyme. While most of my plants are hardy and can withstand a couple days without water, seedlings need extra attention. It was a challenge for some of my kiddos, but we managed to get those little guys started. I still have lots of basil!

Furthermore, plants do a lot for the environment of the room. My school upgraded a few years back to a new heating and cooling system. Mainly, a lot of the air gets recycled and "conditioned" to the appropriate temperature. When school first starts and I haven't brought in any of my plants, I will occasionally get headaches. After I bring in my plants - nada. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment