Thursday, August 6, 2015

Cast Iron Cinnamon Rolls

Thank god for air conditioners! Who wants to bake in the summer -  the hot, humid, upstate NY summer? With the AC cranked up on high, I set out to make these babies...

You'll notice that there's a roll missing already. In my family, it's called the Aunt Ann corner. Ann was my Great Great Aunt and more often than not, a corner of a pan of brownies, etc would be missing when culinary delights showed up.  Unfortunately, she is no longer with us in the physical, but always in spirit. Every time a corner, a piece, or a swipe of frosting goes missing - everyone simply states
 "Aunt Ann must have been here".

Back to the baking-
I've had a Cast Iron Magazine laying around for ages and drooled over nearly all the photos in it. Most of the drooling, though, has been concentrated on the Pecan Sticky Rolls page. So, with ingredients on hand, I got to baking.

The recipe has you make what looks like a sourdough starter and add it to flour and yeast. After you knead like the dickens and then wait an eternity...well you get to the filling soon enough.


A little patience and the dough did indeed double in size! Hallelujah 



Unfortunately, once you've waited for the dough to rise, you roll out the dough, put in the filling, and then WAIT again. It's all worth it, I promise!



Into the oven at 350 degrees until golden brown. I think a couple of my guys couldn't stay in the pan!



I really love my cast iron to cook with. However, I've never baked anything in my most favorite pan. A couple of the rolls really seemed to "pop up" at the prospect of being in it!

All in all, you can taste the yummy cinnamon and fresh orange zest. Not a bad way to end the day (and right before a thunderstorm too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment